About the program
Since 2009, Target has hosted Heroes & Helpers events in stores across the country, pairing local public safety partners with youth from under-resourced areas to go holiday shopping. It’s one way we bring joy to guests during the holidays, while fostering strong relationships in our communities.
"Our store teams work with first responders every day to make sure that safety always comes first at Target,” says Oscar Arango, Target’s vice president of assets protection. “Heroes & Helpers is a great chance for Target and our teams to give back by supporting strong connections and positive engagement across the community and helping bring a little extra joy to those who need it most."
How it works
Heroes & Helpers is a joint effort between Target, charity organizations and first responders. Local first responders (including police, fire or emergency medical service providers) partner with a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in their neighborhood and apply for a grant from Target. Once approved, grant recipients receive $2,500 in Target GiftCards to host a holiday shopping event with children living in under-resourced areas. Events are hosted virtually or in-store, with Target team members making sure the event feels extra special for the children.
Making an impact
Target Heroes & Helpers has been creating connections and bringing the joy of the season to all involved for years. Since 2009, Target has:
- Awarded more than $5 million in Heroes & Helpers grants
- Hosted more than 2,500 Heroes & Helpers events
- Welcomed more than 100,000 kids from underserved areas
- Partnered with more than 60,000 public safety partners
And 2022 is no exception. This year, we're continuing the tradition by:
- Awarding nearly 200 Heroes & Helpers grants nationwide
- Collaborating with public safety partners on in-store events in 42 states and Washington, D.C.
- Supporting our communities in more ways than ever — learn more