Purpose & History
Hello! Welcome. We’re so glad you’re here.
You can find us — the Target Team — at your favorite store, in your community, across the country and around the world. There are more than 400,000 team members across the globe, all working together for one important reason …
To help all families discover the joy of everyday life.
That’s our purpose. Our mission. The promise of surprises, fun, ease and inspiration at every turn, no matter when, where or how you shop.
That quest to bring joy is at the center of every business decision we make. It gets our teams excited to come to work each day. And we bring it to life in so many ways.
Come on in and take a look around.
Explore Purpose & History
Our Corporate Strategy
- Target’s officially in all 50 states, thanks to the 2018 addition of our first store in Vermont.
- Each year, we strengthen our communities by giving 5% of our profits back in cash, products, and through the Target Foundation.
- Our volunteers serve nearly 1 million hours in their communities each year.
- Fortune recognized Target as No. 2 on its 2023 list of Best Large Workplaces in Retail.
- Nearly half of our stores are managed by a female leader and more than a third by a leader of color.