For over 25 years, we have connected with public and nonprofit agencies to build relationships and promote efforts that enhance neighborhood safety. Our commitment to creating strong, healthy and safe communities is alive today because of the dedication our team members have to their communities.
Whether our teams are volunteering their time at neighborhood events or connecting local organizations with communities through programs, we are focused on helping our cities make strides toward a higher standard of safety.
Secure, inside and out
At Target, we believe the first step to building safer neighborhoods begins in our stores. From developing partnerships to utilizing technology and strategic store designs, we take a multi-layered approach to security that helps us be better neighbors to our communities.
As part of this approach, we created a “safe and secure toolbox” that utilizes innovative tactics and store design elements to mitigate crime and protect our guests and team members. These tactics include:
- Strategic parking lot lighting and landscaping that deter crime by increasing visibility.
- A no solicitation policy to provide guests with a distraction-free shopping environment.
- Time and resources investments in our store leaders and security team members so they can de-escalate potential safety issues.
- Specially designed shopping carts that are more difficult to tip over.
Tips for safe shopping
We always want our guests to feel safe and welcome, no matter where, when or how they shop with us. Here are a few things you can do to help make each Target run extra secure:
- Lock your vehicle in the parking lot and, if possible, don’t leave valuables or expensive merchandise inside. (If you must, be sure it’s not visible from the windows.)
- If you see something unusual, feel unsafe or just need help, tell one of our security team members, stat. They’re trained to handle emergency situations, and work with public law enforcement and community partners to keep our team and guests safe.
Public safety partnerships and events
Target stores regularly participate in or support public safety events that drive positive community interactions. These events include fun runs, car seat installations, block parties and our annual holiday charity event, Heroes & Helpers. Public safety partners can visit their local Target store to learn about partnership opportunities or request support for a specific event.
Law enforcement assistance requests
Target has created a secure site that allows criminal justice agencies to request specific support. Using your government agency email address, please request access by emailing email@example.com.
Our position on firearms in stores
While we continue to follow local laws regarding open carry policies, we also respectfully request that guests not bring firearms to Target, even in communities where it’s permitted. Your cooperation helps us fulfill our goal to create an atmosphere of family-friendly shopping that’s safe and inviting for our guests and team members.