Our guests want to know about the chemicals used to make their favorite products, and they look to Target for better options for their families. So in 2017, we launched a new strategy, including a chemical policy and goals, to help us manage chemicals across our assortment and operations. We believe that by supporting our vendors in being more transparent about the ingredients in products, we can spur innovation across all of our product categories and operations, and help reduce unwanted substances from the homes and workplaces of millions of guests.
- All OB, NBE and National Brands
requirements for all:
- Know your supply chain. Traceability and transparency are important and, in some cases, will be required in the future.
- Best-in-class vendors are investigating and piloting technologies that will support full traceability and transparency.
View our approach to chemicals across our assortment and operations
MRSL/RSL will apply to all Owned-Brand products for Target, and currently includes the following product and facility types:
- Clothing (entire garment/textile product, including trims)
- Non-clothing, fabric only (furniture, bedding, footwear, umbrellas, etc.)
- Facility (MRSL only) – clothing, non-clothing fabric, dyeing/finishing forward
view our Textiles RSL MRSL (will be updated on ongoing basis)
- Goal: Improve textile products by removing added flame retardants that are potential carcinogens or pose harm to the guest, workers or communities by 2022.
- Guidelines – use only FR that meets goal.
perfluorinated chemicals (PFC’s)
- Goal: Improve textile products by removing added Perfluorinated Chemcials (PFC’s) from products by 2022.
- Required – No added PFOA or PFOS for Apparel (see RSL below)
- Get more details
- OEKO-TEX® certification encouraged. Target reserves the right to require, as needed.
learn more about our goals
Formulated products are those which are the result of a variety of chemicals combined to make a finished product such as dish soap, shampoo, lotion and mascara.
- Achieve transparency to all intentionally-added ingredients, including generics such as fragrance, in beauty, baby care, personal care and household cleaning formulated products by 2020.
- Required: All vendors must select Data Use Tiers 2.1 and 2.2 for Target within WERCSmart
- Improve in-scope beauty, baby care, personal care and household cleaning product categories by formulating without chemicals that are on our Formulated Unwanted Chemicals List by 2020.
- Unwanted chemicals include: Propylparaben, Butylparaben, NPE’s, phthalates, and formaldehyde-donors.
- Detailed chemical list with CAS numbers
- Any exceptions must be discussed with Target and are at risk of not setting in 2020.
view our Formulated Products Implementation Guide
learn more about our goals