We are committed to creating equity, and ensuring our intentions have a meaningful impact for our teams, guests and communities.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Target, our team rallies around a single purpose: to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our core values, shape our culture and drive our business. Across Target, we embrace diversity and strive to give everyone access to rewarding opportunities.
Target has had an established diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) strategy for many years with a longstanding commitment to drive progress for our team and business. We strongly believe that what gets measured gets managed, which is why we’ve set and regularly monitor progress against our enterprise DE&I goals for the past six years.
Target has a longstanding commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. They are part of our core values, shape our culture and drive our business, and we’ve been on a journey for nearly 20 years to build and refine our DE&I strategy. Read more in our history timeline
Milestones of our journey
- 2003-2009: Foster an Inclusive Culture
- Target establishes its first Diversity Steering Committee, which becomes the Office of Diversity & Inclusion (D&I).
- Diversity and inclusion are defined and integrated into company strategy and beliefs.
- 2009-2013: Strength of Many, Power of One
- Office of D&I launches diversity action committees (DACs), employee resource groups (ERGs), diversity analytics team, and workplace and marketplace initiatives.
- 2013-2015: All Together
- Office of D&I is located within corporate social responsibility team.
- Target invests in external stakeholder engagement initiatives.
- 2015-2022: Champion an Inclusive Society
- Office of D&I transitions to the human resources team.
- D&I strategy is revamped to align with revision of company purpose.
- Target launches and completes first three-year cycle of enterprise goals.
- 2022-present: We Are Never Done
- Target launches next three-year cycle of enterprise DE&I goals.
Across Target, we embrace diversity and strive to give everyone access to the same opportunities. Our DE&I strategy focuses on four areas: creating an inclusive guest experience, having an inclusive work environment, building a diverse workforce and leveraging our influence to drive positive impact in the communities where we do business.
We want to create environments where guests feel welcome, including our marketing and with the products we sell in our stores and online.
Target aims to create a workplace where team members feel welcome, where they can build meaningful careers and have success at every level. Everyone in our Target community takes accountability to build an inclusive work environment.
We're focused on building a diverse workforce where we take an equitable approach to hiring, development and advancement.
We focus on championing inclusion to help communities thrive, including directing philanthropic spending to communities of color to advance racial equity.
Equal employment opportunity
Target is an equal opportunity employer that prohibits discrimination, and will make decisions regarding employment opportunities, including hiring, promotion and advancement, without regard to the following characteristics: race, color, national origin, religious beliefs, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status, military status, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local fair employment practice laws.