For over 25 years, we have connected with public and nonprofit agencies to build relationships and promote efforts that enhance neighborhood safety. Our commitment to creating strong, healthy and safe communities is alive today because of the dedication our team members have to their communities.
Whether our teams are volunteering their time at neighborhood events or connecting local organizations with communities through programs like Heroes & Helpers, we are focused on helping our cities make strides toward a higher standard of safety.
heroes & helpers
Our annual Heroes & Helpers program creates a joyful holiday experience for underserved children in our communities, through grants that, in partnership with local organizations, fund a holiday shopping trip for children and their families.
Target has a long legacy of serving our communities. Since 2009, we’ve provided holiday shopping experiences to more than 100,000 underserved kids through the program.
With the safety of our guests, team members and communities our top priority, this year’s Heroes & Helpers events will be fully virtual. New this year, we’re partnering with local nonprofits and accredited schools who have a deep understanding of the needs in their communities to help facilitate this program across the country. And in an extraordinary year during which so many heroes have stepped forward in remarkable ways, we’re expanding the program to include firefighters, paramedics, EMTs and other public safety partners, in addition to law enforcement.
secure, inside and out
At Target, we believe the first step to building safer neighborhoods begins in our stores. From developing partnerships to utilizing technology and strategic store designs, we take a multi-layered approach to security that helps us be better neighbors to our communities.
As part of this approach we created a “safe and secure toolbox” that utilizes innovative tactics and store design elements to mitigate crime and protect our guests and team members. A few of the toolbox features include:
- Strategic parking lot lighting and landscaping that deters crime by increasing visibility.
- Big, red concrete balls in front of many stores to protect guests by making it harder for cars to drive onto the curb.
- A no solicitation policy to provide guests with a distraction-free shopping environment.
- Merchandise protection strategies to prevent theft and keep items well stocked.
- Friendly service from our team members to foster a safe, enjoyable shopping experience for guests.
- Specially designed shopping carts that are more difficult to tip over.
tips for safe shopping
We always want our guests to feel safe and welcome, no matter where, when or how they shop with us. Here are a few things you can do to help make each Target Run extra secure:
- Lock your vehicle in the parking lot, and if possible, don’t leave valuables or expensive merchandise inside. (If you must, be sure it’s not visible from the windows.)
- If you see something unusual, feel unsafe or just need help, tell one of our security team members, stat. They’re trained to handle emergency situations, and work with public and community partners to keep our team and guests safe.
law enforcement assistance requests
To support safe communities, we have created a secure site that allows criminal justice agencies to request support. Using your government agency email address, please request access by emailing email@example.com.
our position on firearms in stores
While we continue to follow local laws regarding "open carry" policies, we also respectfully request that guests not bring firearms to Target, even in communities where it’s permitted. Your cooperation helps us fulfill our goal to create an atmosphere of family-friendly shopping that’s safe and inviting for our guests and team members.
see more information about our policy