While it builds on our heritage as a responsible business, Future at Heart represents an exciting step in our corporate responsibility ambitions. Aligned with Target’s broader business transformation and guided by Target’s purpose, Future at Heart is designed to leverage our core strengths and lean into our competitive advantage to create value for the people, communities and planet that we serve – today and tomorrow.
Future at Heart is the result of a process to re-imagine our corporate responsibility vision and better connect it to our purpose and strategic priorities. In partnership with teams across Target, we asked ourselves some provocative questions:
- How can our owned-brand products and brands evolve so guests do not have to choose between value and values?
- How can we ensure a job at Target enables team members to care for themselves and their families?
- How can we elevate the well-being of the people in our manufacturing supply chain communities?
- How can our stores empower communities to thrive and grow, especially traditionally underserved communities?
- How can we use philanthropy to drive transformative change on the issues impacting our business and society today and tomorrow?
- And how can our world-class designers embrace a circular mindset to envision a business that leaves the world better for future families?
Future at Heart is our response to these questions – and to changing social and environmental realities. We have set four strategic ambitions – Empower Teams, Serve Guests, Foster Communities and Design Tomorrow.
It has wide-ranging implications for our business – on how we design and develop our products and brands, thinking about both beginning and end-of-life and the natural resources we need; on where we locate new stores and how we partner with local communities; on how we design work for our team members to make it rewarding and joyful; and on how guests experience our products and stores every time they go on a Target run or shop Target.com.
This is just the beginning. As one of the largest employers in the United States, with stores in more than 1,800 communities and more than 30 million guest visits every week, we have a significant opportunity to drive change at scale and work to truly deliver joy to all families today and tomorrow.
As we progress, Future at Heart will help us create an even stronger workforce, empower guests to make healthy and responsible choices, while also contributing to thriving communities and a healthy environment. It should also help us attract and retain the best talent and team, earn us guest love and loyalty, make Target a welcome neighbor in every community and be responsive to shifting environmental realities.
That is what Future at Heart is all about.