While it builds on our heritage as a responsible business, Future at Heart represents an exciting step in our corporate responsibility ambitions. Aligned with Target’s broader business transformation and guided by Target’s purpose, Future at Heart is designed to leverage our core strengths and lean into our competitive advantage to create value for the people, communities and planet that we serve – today and tomorrow.
Future at Heart is the result of a process to re-imagine our corporate responsibility vision and better connect it to our purpose and strategic priorities. In partnership with teams across Target, we asked ourselves some provocative questions:
- How can our owned-brand products and brands evolve so guests do not have to choose between value and values?
- How can we ensure a job at Target enables team members to care for themselves and their families?
- How can we elevate the well-being of the people in our manufacturing supply chain communities?
- How can our stores empower communities to thrive and grow, especially traditionally underserved communities?
- How can we use philanthropy to drive transformative change on the issues impacting our business and society today and tomorrow?
- And how can our world-class designers embrace a circular mindset to envision a business that leaves the world better for future families?
Future at Heart is our response to these questions – and to changing social and environmental realities. We have set four strategic ambitions – Empower Teams, Serve Guests, Foster Communities and Design Tomorrow.
It has wide-ranging implications for our business – on how we design and develop our products and brands, thinking about both beginning and end-of-life and the natural resources we need; on where we locate new stores and how we partner with local communities; on how we design work for our team members to make it rewarding and joyful; and on how guests experience our products and stores every time they go on a Target run or shop Target.com.
This is just the beginning. As one of the largest employers in the United States, with stores in more than 1,800 communities and more than 30 million guest visits every week, we have a significant opportunity to drive change at scale and work to truly deliver joy to all families today and tomorrow.
As we progress, Future at Heart will help us create an even stronger workforce, empower guests to make healthy and responsible choices, while also contributing to thriving communities and a healthy environment. It should also help us attract and retain the best talent and team, earn us guest love and loyalty, make Target a welcome neighbor in every community and be responsive to shifting environmental realities.
That is what Future at Heart is all about.
Our team members are what the Target brand is all about. As we look toward the future, we are continuing to invest in our nearly 350,000 team members and create good jobs that allow them to thrive. We believe an investment in them is an investment in the future of our business, and should also deliver joy to all families by first including the families of our team members.
We also desire to improve the livelihoods of workers throughout our global manufacturing supply chain, striving to elevate worker well-being, enhance worker safety and work to eliminate forced labor if discovered.
- Vision: Ensure Team Members and manufacturing supply chain workers thrive
- Aspiration: We invest in Team Members and support manufacturing supply chain workers so they care take care of themselves, each other and their families
- Pillar Goals:
- We have committed to pay all team members a minimum hourly wage of at least $15 by 2020
- By 2020, we’re committed to improving the lives of least three million people in the factories and surrounding communities where Target’s goods are produced
- Priority Areas:
- Economic Attainment & Well-being: We provide competitive compensation and benefits that enable Target team members to meet their needs.
- Meaningful Work & Opportunity: We foster a diverse and inclusive workplace that provides experiences to learn, grow and make a difference for our guests and their communities.
- Global Livelihoods: We strive to enhance worker safety, well-being and economic opportunity throughout our manufacturing supply chain.
Our guests’ expectations are changing. They want to do business with brands that match their values. And they do not want to accept tradeoffs – between what is affordable and what is best for their family, or between performance and the planet. At Target, we have a history of eliminating tradeoffs for our guests. It is at the heart of our brand promise to Expect More. Pay Less. Now we are bringing that same thinking to help deliver better products, services and experiences that meet our guests’ need for both value and values.
Our owned brands are a key differentiator for Target. We are working across our portfolio of owned brands to improve the environmental performance and social impact of each brand. For example, we are identifying opportunities to reduce packaging, eliminate unwanted chemicals, source more sustainable raw materials and leverage the voice of our brands to bring attention to important societal issues such as supporting children with different abilities.
We also want all families to find products that reflect their needs at Target. That means trying to make our assortment as inclusive as possible.
- Vision: Deliver value with values
- Aspiration: We offer products, services and experiences that meet all families’ needs for value and values
- Pillar Goal: We are working toward a commitment that would ensure all of our owned-brand products will have a positive impact on people or the planet by 2025
- Priority Areas:
- Better Products: We offer better-for-you and sustainable products, services and experiences without compromising convenience, cost or efficacy.
- Purposeful Brands: We build positive environmental and/or social impact into the way we make and market our owned brands.
- Inclusive Products & Experiences: We offer products, services and experiences that bring joy to all families by meeting diverse needs.
We have always been deeply connected to the communities we are lucky enough to call home. By investing in the places where we live and work, we create more sustainable communities for future generations of guests and team members. Now we want to go further, becoming intentional about how our business can accelerate economic development and bring communities together.
As we look to bring the Target brand to neighborhoods where our presence and investment can foster economic vitality – and, of course, joy – this priority is already influencing how we design and locate our stores and distribution centers. It also means looking at communities that are new for Target, especially in traditionally underserved areas, and thinking about the role our business and philanthropic support can play.
- Vision: Accelerate economic development
- Aspiration: We increase economic prosperity wherever we operate
- Pillar Goal: By 2025, we will have made a transformative economic impact in priority underserved communities
- Priority Areas:
- Economic Vitality: We bring Target to communities where our presence and investment can foster economic vitality.
- Welcoming Places: We invite communities into spaces designed with their unique needs in mind.
- Community Opportunity: We enable community members to access economic opportunity through financial security and empowerment.
We believe operating a sustainable business and using resources responsibly will allow us to serve our guests for many generations to come.
Our aspiration to develop a comprehensive circular strategy builds on extensive work to date to address the environmental impacts of our business, including our efforts to reduce waste, invest in renewable energy and pursue sustainable water management. The circular economy is one of the biggest opportunities we have to design a sustainable future. As a brand with a heritage in democratizing design, we are working to become the retailer that takes circular mainstream. We want to be the mass retailer that offers the greatest number of products, services and experiences that are circular by design, incorporating this concept into our owned brands and working with recycled and sustainably sourced materials. We are also working to design an experience that is better for our guests today and enables us to partner with them to leave the world better for future families. Over the long term, we want to make circular behaviors easy, fun and aspirational for our guests.
Beyond circular, designing tomorrow also means ensuring our operations are sustainable – from packaging considerations to store design.
- Vision: Embrace future forward design
- Aspiration: We take the circular economy mainstream
- Priority Areas:
- Responsible Resource Use: We aspire to source and influence our suppliers to manufacture environmentally and socially responsible products.
- Circular Behavior & Innovation: We seek to establish a culture and mindset around circular design and zero waste lifestyles.
- Sustainable Operations: We aim to design and operate the most sustainable buildings in the retail industry.