The Target School Library Makeovers program is back in 2013 and ready to inspire more kids to love learning. Here are five important things to know about this year’s program.
1. The 2013 list is out. We just unveiled plans to renovate 25 school libraries across the country this year, transforming outdated spaces into state-of-the-art learning centers with new shelves, furniture, carpet, artwork, technology and more.
2. The program will put thousands of new books in students’ hands. As part of the makeover, each of the schools will get 2,000 new books to fill up its library shelves. But that’s not all – at the unveiling ceremonies, students and their siblings will each get a special gift: seven new books to take home and call their own.
3. The books are just the beginning. Besides their remodeled library, each school will also receive a technology upgrade, complete with iPads, interactive whiteboards and more. Schools will also have the option to receive a Target Meals for Minds food pantry, which provides in-need students and their families with more than 22 pounds of fresh produce and staple foods each month.
4. Our talented team members will make it happen. In partnership with The Heart of America Foundation, our Target design and construction teams will help create new artwork and spaces for kids to read and learn. More than 3,000 of our team member volunteers across the country will pitch in to help bring the new libraries to life.
5. By the end of this year, we expect to celebrate a big milestone: 175 School Library Makeovers completed and more than 93,000 students impacted since the program began in 2007.
The Target School Library Makeover program is part of Target’s commitment to give $1 billion for education by the end of 2015. Through this and other initiatives, we’re helping more children reach academic milestones, such as reading proficiently by the end of third grade.
Visit Schools to watch a video and learn about the program, or check out the timeline of a makeover at A Bullseye View, Target’s online magazine.
Don’t miss out on the latest Target news and behind-the-scenes happenings! Subscribe to our newsletter and get the top stories from A Bullseye View delivered straight to your inbox!