Form I-9 Section 2 Authorized Representative Reference Guide
To establish identity and employment eligibility, all team members in the U.S. must submit a complete Form I-9 to their employer. As part of Form I-9, team members must provide documentation to establish both their identity and employment authorization to work in the United States. Your role as a Section 2 Authorized Representative is to physically examine those documents in person and complete Section 2 of Form I-9.
Section 2 authorized representative steps:
- Meet in person with the team member.
- Examine the documents.
- Click the link that was sent in the email from Workday.
- Complete Section 2 in-person with the team member.
- Attach copies of documents and submit.
Team member responsibilities for Section 2:
The team members must present unexpired original documentation that shows their identity and employment authorization. The team member chooses which documentation to present.
Team members must present:
- One document from List A; or
- One document from List B in combination with one document from List C.
- List A contains documents that show both identity and employment authorization.
- List B documents show identity only.
- List C documents show employment authorization only.
Section 2 authorized representative responsibilities:
You may accept a receipt showing the team member has applied for a replacement for a document that has been lost, stolen or damaged. Check the receipt box when prompted.
Your primary responsibility is to ensure the documents provided:
- Are included on the list of acceptable documents.
- Appear to be genuine and relate to the team member.
- Meet the requirement to establish both identity and employment eligibility.
After you have examined the documents, follow the steps below to complete Section 2:
- Click the one-time secure link provided to you in the email.
- Enter and/or confirm your personal information. If you are not a government official, skip the Government ID field.
- Check the “I Agree” check box to attest under penalty of perjury that you will complete all information in the form to the best of your ability and to the best of your knowledge all information entered is true and accurate and click “Next.”
- Select the document provided to you from the Document Title drop-down list.
- Complete the required fields and click “Next.” Team members can provide any valid combination of documents that appear on the list of acceptable documents. If the document is a receipt, check the “Document is a receipt” box.
- Enter the team member’s first day of employment. It is critical that this date is accurate. Ask the team member to confirm their first day of employment. Example: If the team member started working on Monday, enter the Monday date into this field.
- Check the “I Agree” checkbox to acknowledge that you have read the attestation statement and are electronically signing the Form I-9.
- Enter your title or relationship to the team member in the Title of Authorized Representative field.
- Confirm your last and first name.
- The Employer's Business or Organization Name should be kept as is and reflect:
- Employer’s Business or Organization Name: Target Enterprise Inc.
- Employer’s Business or Organization Address: 7000 Target Parkway N.
- City or Town: Minneapolis
- State Abbreviation: MN
- Zip Code: 55445
- Attach scans or photographs of the documents provided. Click “Upload” to add images. You must upload the front and back of the document if team member presents a U.S. passport or passport card (in the case of a U.S. passport, copy the Passport ID page and the Passport Barcode page), Permanent Resident Card or Employment Authorization Document as the verification document.
- Finally, click “Submit”.
A few things to remember:
- Ensure you delete any scans or photographs after uploading them.
- For more information about Form I-9, visit: Instructions for Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.
- All documents used must be valid, unexpired and appear on the list of acceptable documents. Note: you may accept a certified copy of a birth certificate if it has an official seal.
- If you are unable to access Section 2 or you cannot locate the link, please ask the team member to resend the link to you.
If you have any questions while you are completing Section 2 with the team member, please have the team member reach out to Human Resource Operation Center (HROC) at +1-800-394-1885, Monday-Friday 8am-5pm CST. The team member will need to call Human Resource Operation Center (HROC) while they are with you so the team member can verify personal information prior to HROC assisting with your questions.