MINNEAPOLIS - September 9, 2013
Target Corp. (NYSE: TGT) today unveiled the Simplicity Challenge, a nationwide search for innovative ideas to simplify healthcare. The initiative underscores the retailer’s commitment to creating simple and engaging experiences for guests in every area of its business, including healthcare offerings. The Target Simplicity Challenge seeks ideas in two categories, addressing some of the most critical opportunities in healthcare today: helping people make positive lifestyle and prevention choices, and helping people live well with a chronic condition.
Target welcomes submissions from individuals with expertise across the industry, as well as students, innovators, designers and entrepreneurs invested in improving healthcare. Entrants can submit their ideas until Oct. 24 to the official challenge website, www.TargetSimplicityChallenge.com. The public can view the ideas submitted on the Challenge website and vote for their favorite.
“As a retailer serving millions of guests and an employer of more than 361,000 team members, Target recognizes the growing concern over healthcare in the U.S. and strives to be a positive part of the solution,” said José Barra, senior vice president of health and beauty, Target. “The Target Simplicity Challenge is designed to give visibility to those seemingly small, simple ideas that can have a big impact.”
Once the submission period has closed on Oct. 24, a panel of Target executives will choose eight finalists—four from each category—based on a combined score of originality, creativity and compelling nature for Target and healthcare. From the finalist group, two grand prize winners will be selected (one from each category) by a panel of 11 industry expert judges, including:
- Michael Alexin, Vice President & General Merchandise Manager (Product Design & Development and Apparel & Accessories), Target
- Tim Brown, Chief Executive Officer, IDEO
- Nate Garvis, Founder & President, Naked Civics
- Debra Gold, Managing Director, Debra Gold & Associations, LLC and Retired Senior Partner, Mercer
- Mike Keriakos, President and Co-Founder of Everyday Health
- Jeff Jones, Executive Vice President & Chief Marketing Officer, Target
- Jim McDermid, Vice President of Human Resources, Medtronic
- Dr. Richard Migloiori, MD, Executive Vice President & Chief Medical Officer, UnitedHealth Group
- Kyle Rolfing, Founder & Strategic Advisor, RedBrick Health
- Dr. Wendy Sue Swanson, MD, Pediatrician and Blog Author, Seattle Mama Doc
- Amy Tenderich, Founder, Diabetes Mine
The grand prize winners will receive $25,000 and a chance to partner with Target to make their vision a reality.
To learn more about Target’s Simplicity Challenge, visit www.TargetSimplicityChallenge.com.
Minneapolis-based Target Corporation (NYSE: TGT) serves guests at 1,856 stores – 1,788 in the United States and 68 in Canada – and at Target.com. Since 1946, Target has given 5 percent of its profit through community grants and programs; today, that giving equals more than $4 million a week. For more information about Target’s commitment to corporate responsibility, visit target.com/corporateresponsibility.