Results (starting pos.) from the AdvoCare 500 at Phoenix International Raceway
1. (19) Kevin Harvick, No. 29 Chevrolet
12. (21) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet
23. (18) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 Bass Pro Shops/ Allstate Chevrolet
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series headed out west to Phoenix International Raceway with only two races remaining in the 2012 season. The No. 42 Target Chevrolet started in the 21st position and was able to maintain solid track-position throughout the race and avoid the on-track melee in the closing laps to finish in 12th.
The AdvoCare 500 proved to be an exciting race on and off the track over the weekend. Race fans saw eight caution flags and some retaliation between drivers as the Chase competition heated up. Juan Pablo Montoya started midfield and quickly played on pit strategy making two-tire stops in the opening laps of the race. The No. 42 Target Chevrolet ran as high as third and was displayed within the top-15 for the majority of the race. In the closing laps, Montoya was able to avoid multiple late race accidents and bring the Target Chevrolet home in a solid 12th-place finish.
“The Target Chevy was good all weekend,” Montoya stated. “We struggled a little bit on the long runs. The car would start to get really tight but otherwise it wasn’t a bad day for us. We managed to stay out of trouble and stay on the lead lap all day. We’re making gains every weekend.”
· The race experienced eight caution flags and a 15-minute red flag with only 20 cars finishing on the lead lap
· Montoya has 12 starts at Phoenix. He has led 104 laps and earned one top-five, and two top-10 finishes
· Only one race remains in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season.
· Montoya remains 22nd in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series point standings
The final race of the season is this weekend at Homestead-Miami Speedway. The Ford EcoBoost 400 will air live on ESPN and radio stations affiliated with MRN on Sunday, Nov. 18 at 2 p.m. ET.
For more information log onto: