Earnhardt Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates Media Contact
Shayna Keller No. 42 Target Chevrolet
Results (with starting pos.) Richmond International Raceway
1. (7) Kevin Harvick, No. 29 Chevrolet
14. (2) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 Bass Pro Shops/ Honoring our Heroes Chevrolet
15. (10) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet
Top-15 Run for the Target Team at Richmond International Raceway
RICHMOND, Va. (September 10, 2011) – The Target team started in the top-10 and had a solid run going for the caution filled race at Richmond International Raceway. The No. 42 Target Chevrolet ran as high as second and maintained position within the top-15 for the majority of the night before crossing the finish line in 15th.
Juan Pablo Montoya and the Target team spent Friday’s practice session working on the handling of the race car and went on to qualify in the 10th position later that day. As the race got underway, Montoya found himself in the top-five by lap 50 and would even advance up to second before the halfway point of the race. Just before lap 200, the Target Chevrolet found itself tangled up in an on-track incident and received fender damage. Repairs were made on pit road and Montoya drove the No. 42 from the 28th position back up into the top-15 within 30 laps. Concerns over braking soon presented themselves in the closing laps and Montoya would hold his position to cross the finish line in 15th.
“I’ve been saying it over the last few weeks but I believe we are making great progress with this Target team,” Montoya remarked. “The car was pretty bad during practice and the guys turned it around and we had ourselves a fast car come race time. I’m excited for the next 10 weeks of racing.”
- Montoya has two poles, two top-five and seven top-10 finishes as the final race into the Chase has concluded
- 10 races remain in the 2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series schedule
- Montoya sits 18th in the point standings
- Montoya has completed 7441 out of the possible 7476 laps, 99.5% after 26 races
- Montoya has no DNF’s in 2011
The Geico 400 is up next at Chicagoland Speedway. The race will air on ESPN and MRN radio on Sunday, September 18 at 2:00 pm ET.
For more information log onto: