Results (with starting pos.) Michigan International Speedway
1. (17) Kyle Busch, No. 18 Toyota
23. (10) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet
25. (25) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet
Juan Pablo Montoya and the Target team headed to Michigan for the second time this season and were looking to better their past performance. The team worked on the handling throughout the practice sessions and placed the No. 42 Chevrolet in 25th position for qualifying. Come race time the team encountered changing weather conditions and handling to finish out the day in the 25th position.
With only four races remaining until the cut-off for the Chase, Montoya and the team have been working to find their first win in the 2011 season. The Target Chevrolet practiced and qualified midfield and made some final adjustments before heading into Sunday’s race. When the green flag waved, the track temperatures started to change and so did the handling of the race cars. The 42 crew brought Montoya down pit road a total of six times for tires, fuel and adjustments. After 200 laps in the Irish Hills the Target team finished where they started in the 25th position.
“The guys made adjustments on the Target Chevrolet everytime I came down pit road but it seemed like as soon as we got one thing under control something else happened,” said Montoya. “I guess everyone was struggling out there. It’s frustrating but the communication is good and I know things are going to get where they need to be.”
- Montoya has two poles, two top-five and seven top-10 finishes with three races remaining until the Chase cut-off
- Montoya sits 22nd in the point standings, 98 points out of 10th
- Montoya has completed 6216 out of the possible 6251 laps, 99.4% after 23 races
The Irwin Tools Night Race at Bristol Motor Speedway is up next. The race will air on ABC and radio stations affiliated with PRN at 7:30 pm ET on Saturday, August 27.