Results (with starting pos.) from Darlington Raceway
1. (23) Regan Smith, No. 78 Chevrolet
9. (12) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet
23. (16) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet
Darlington, SC. (May 7, 2011) – The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series visited historic Darlington Raceway over the weekend. The Target team started 16th and battled a tight handling condition to finish out the night in the 23rd position. Montoya fell one position in the point standings to 13th, 95 out of first.
Teams headed into Darlington on Friday for a two-day show. One rain shortened practice took place on Friday followed by qualifying later that day. The No. 42 Target Chevrolet started in the 16th position and within three laps Montoya radioed in a tight handling race car. The troublesome handling woes continued throughout the 367-lap event. The crew brought the car down pit road a total of eight times for adjustments, fuel and tires. When the checkered flag waved, the Target Chevrolet was credited with the 23rd position.
“It was a tough night,” Montoya remarked. “We tried something new with the set-up and we just couldn’t find the right balance. The longer we ran, the tighter the Target Chevrolet got. On to the next race.”
- Montoya was awarded the Goodyear Gatorback Belts Fastest Lap Award last weekend at Richmond
- Montoya has two poles, two top-five and four top-10 finishes out of 10 races this season
- Montoya currently sits 13th in the point standings; 95 out of first
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series is off to Dover, Del. next weekend for the FedEx 400 benefiting Autism Speaks. The race will air on FOX and MRN radio on Sunday, May 15 at 1:00 pm ET.
For more information log onto: