April 25, 2018
Warm, spring weather is the perfect excuse to skip the gym… and take your workout outdoors! To help us get in the spirit of spring workouts, we turned to our C9 Champion brand ambassador Massy Arias—she’s a trainer, an Instagram fitness guru and a mom, so if there’s anyone who knows a thing or two about effective exercising, it’s Massy.
“As a mom, every day is different. One or two of my workouts a week involve wearing Indi as a weight and getting creative,” Massy says. “For her, this is fun time with me and she really enjoys watching. As she gets older, she is showing more interest in the things she sees me do every day.”
As for how she gets ready to work out? Massy suits up in her favorite C9 Champion styles, including the power shape max support racerback sports bra, the power core compression collection and the seamless collection.
“I find that there is a wide range of styles C9 offers for every training style and I love that. The women’s power core collection is perfect for running, high intensity workouts, plyometrics and for cross training activities. I also find this collection perfect for women who need a little extra support,” she explains. “Regardless of the style of training, C9 offers an option for all body types and preferences.”
Ready to exercise like Massy? Check out a few of her favorite outdoor workout moves, below!
This exercise will build overall upper body and core strength while working on flexibility.
- Start in a push up position with a neutral spine. Position your arms a bit wider than shoulder width, forming a straight line from shoulder to wrist. Keep hands spread wide on the mat.
- Engage your core by tucking your hips under your pelvis until you feel your glutes squeeze. Start bending your elbows at a 45-degree angle to perform the push up.
- Start shifting your weight back into a three-legged downward dog, by pushing away from your palms to bring your right leg as high as you can while keeping hips straight. (You should feel a great stretch on the back of the stationary leg!)
- Start shifting your weight forward while, at the same time, bringing the raised knee into your chest. Return leg to push up position, and repeat on the opposite side.
This move works your glutes, hamstrings and inner thigh muscles.
- Start by standing on a bench or stable platform. Plant one leg about a half foot off the bench.
- Inhale, then start lowering yourself slowly by bending the standing knee and hinging forward, maintaining a neutral spine. Keep your weight toward the back of your heels, but keep your whole foot stable on the surface. Your glutes and hamstrings should do all the deceleration work.
- Once your “hanging leg” finds the ground, stay forward to use your glutes and hamstrings to step up. Focus on keeping your planted foot secure, while most of the weight stays in the back of your heels.
- Bring the hanging leg up to balance (see last photo). To bring the leg back up, your body will have to shift more toward the stationary leg. If you’re a beginner, no need to bring your leg back up. Switch to the other side and repeat.
This move works your back muscles, biceps, triceps, glutes and hamstrings.
- Start by stepping one leg into a C9 Champion flat resistance band. Stagger your feet with neutral hips. Grab the band on both sides.
- Retract your shoulders and start curling the band up toward them. Maintain a neutral wrist throughout this movement. As you lower the band, find your triceps by contracting the muscle.
- Start hinging forward, keeping your arms straight and close to your thighs. Keep hips and spine neutral, with a slight bend in your leg holding the band. Raise the other leg parallel to the ground (or as close as possible!) and row the bands so that your wrists are close to your ribs. Keep glutes engaged.
- Lower your leg back to the mat and repeat on the other side.
- Tip: If you’re a beginner, you can modify the movement by performing a regular bent over row, with both feet planted on the band.
Shop C9 Champion in Target stores or online at Target.com!
Don’t miss out on the latest Target news and behind-the-scenes happenings! Subscribe to our bi weekly newsletter and get the top stories from A Bullseye View delivered straight to your inbox!