Target is taking its holiday assortment into new territory through a test with Shapeways, a premier online 3D printing marketplace and service.
This unique collection of charms, rings and ornaments – developed by Target’s design team and personalized by you – is produced by a sophisticated, much-buzzed-about process. 3-D printing has the potential to transform what you thought you knew about shopping, style and the power of technology.
Now let’s get to the assortment. Starting at just $7.99, you can select from more than 120 charms—state silhouettes, anchors, hearts, keys, love letters, initials.
“We wanted to offer Target guests a wide array of options that would appeal to an equally wide array of tastes, passions, and hobbies,” said Stephanie Grotta, a designer on Target’s Product Design and Development team. “Jewelry is so personal, whether you’re giving it as a gift or buying something for yourself. We wanted to answer that need while making sure the pieces were stylish and original.” The charms are designed to be worn as pendants on a chain; a selection of rings is also included in the jewelry offerings.
As for the ornaments, you can choose from a fun range of motifs including a snowflake, star, holiday tree, Santa, stocking, owl and more in a rainbow of color options. The 3-D printing element puts a 21st-century spin on the time-honored tradition of giving homemade ornaments as gifts — no paste, glitter or painted macaroni required!
So, how does this super-cool technology work? It’s easy!
- Log on to Shapeways.com/Target and have fun searching for that perfect item
- Pick out a material that tickles your fancy. You have tons of choices: nylon, steel, bronze, brass and silver.
- Then comes the customization – this is half the fun! Include a special message or monogram to the key, state and love letter charms.
- Place your order and let the Shapeways technology handle the rest. The 3-D printers will sculpt your creation layer by layer, printing out the piece exactly as you designed it.
- In 2-3 weeks your thoughtful, customized gift will arrive to your doorstep.
A personalized gift from start to finish…does it get any better than that?
To find out more about Target’s holiday plans and introductions, click here to read our exclusive interview with Target CEO Brian Cornell.
Don’t miss out on the latest Target news and behind-the-scenes happenings! Subscribe to our newsletter and get the top stories from A Bullseye View delivered straight to your inbox!