April 6, 2012
Owners Robert Van Sickle and Deb Gregg, who loved to spoil their precious pooch Pearl with gourmet all-natural dog treats, opened up Boston-based Polka Dog Bakery to make sure she was only chowing down on the crème de la crème of biscuits and bones.
Now, pups across the country can delight in the doggone delicious treats as part of their limited-edition collection at Target stores nationwide. The Polka Dog Bakery at Target collection of toys, treats and accessories is canine credited—Bullseye gave it two paws up.
If you want to sniff out the collection (and pamper your pet) before May 6, then you’re in luck. We rounded up the finest ingredients for two original Polka Dog Bakery recipes and let our dog, Molly, be a guinea pig for the day. Usually reserved for human recipes, this In the Kitchen post goes out to all of our four-legged friends.
Makes 12-24 treats
The equivalent of an energy bar for your dog, these bone-shaped biscuits are packed with oats and protein. Even though they’re cute and cookie-like, resist the urge to eat them yourself.
What You’ll Need:
3 cups whole-wheat flour (can be substituted for 3 cups rye flour for dogs with wheat allergies)
1 cup rolled oats
1 15oz can pumpkin
Dog bone cookie cutters
What You’ll Do:
1. Preheat the oven to 300 F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together whole-wheat flour, rolled oats and cinnamon.
3. Grind the chicken in a food processor until paste is formed. Add pumpkin to chicken, and mix in the processor until well incorporated.
4. Add the chicken-pumpkin paste into flour mixture using a wooden spoon and then mix and knead together.
5. Roll out dough onto lightly floured surface to about 1/2” thickness, cut into desired shapes and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until firm. Allow to cool.
Sweet Pawtato Chips
Makes 32-42 treats
Is your puppy packing on the pounds? Made from sweet potatoes (loaded with vitamin C, potassium and fiber) soaked in chicken broth, these thinly sliced treats are a healthy snack solution.
What You Need:
2 medium sweet potatoes
What You’ll Do:
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Wash and Scrub Sweet Potatoes. Slice 1/8” thick with a mandolin or sharp knife.
3. Place in small bowl and cover with chicken broth. Let soak for 1/2 hour.
4. Take slices out of bowl and place on parchment lined sheet pans.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
6. Remove from oven, and allow to cool.
Want more on The Shops at Target?
Check out our features on Privet House, Cos Bar, The Webster and The Candy Store.
Photos by Chris New and Alec Bastian
Don’t miss out on the latest Target news and behind-the-scenes happenings! Subscribe to our bi weekly newsletter and get the top stories from A Bullseye View delivered straight to your inbox!